Bootstrapping Service Mesh Implementations with Istio
- Paperback: 418 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook (April 21, 2023)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1803246812
- ISBN-13: 978-1803246819
Bootstrapping Service Mesh Implementations with Istio: A step-by-step guide to Istio Service Mesh implementation, with examples of complex and distributed workloads built using microservices architecture and deployed in Kubernetes
Istio is a game-changer in managing connectivity and operational efficiency of microservices, but implementing and using it in applications can be challenging. This book will help you overcome these challenges and gain insights into Istio’s features and functionality layer by layer with the help of easy-to-follow examples. It will let you focus on implementing and deploying Istio on the cloud and in production environments instead of dealing with the complexity of demo apps.
You’ll learn the installation, architecture, and components of Istio Service Mesh, perform multi-cluster installation, and integrate legacy workloads deployed on virtual machines. As you advance, you’ll understand how to secure microservices from threats, perform multi-cluster deployments on Kubernetes, use load balancing, monitor application traffic, implement service discovery and management, and much more. You’ll also explore other Service Mesh technologies such as Linkerd, Consul, Kuma, and Gloo Mesh. In addition to observing and operating Istio using Kiali, Prometheus, Grafana and Jaeger, you’ll perform zero-trust security and reliable communication between distributed applications.
- Get an overview of Service Mesh and the problems it solves
- Become well-versed with the fundamentals of Istio, its architecture, installation, and deployment
- Extend the Istio data plane using WebAssembly (Wasm) and learn why Envoy is used as a data plane
- Understand how to use OPA Gatekeeper to automate Istio’s best practices
- Manage communication between microservices using Istio
- Explore different ways to secure the communication between microservices
- Get insights into traffic flow in the Service Mesh
- Learn best practices to deploy and operate Istio in production environments
After reading this Bootstrapping Service Mesh Implementations with Istio book, you’ll be equipped with the practical knowledge and skills needed to use and operate Istio effectively.