Data Science: The Hard Parts
- Paperback: 254 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook (December 5, 2023)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1098146476
- ISBN-13: 978-1098146474
Data Science: The Hard Parts: Techniques for Excelling at Data Science
This practical guide provides a collection of techniques and best practices that are generally overlooked in most data engineering and data science pedagogy. A common misconception is that great data scientists are experts in the “big themes” of the discipline machine learning and programming. But most of the time, these tools can only take us so far. In practice, the smaller tools and skills really separate a great data scientist from a not-so-great one.
With this Data Science: The Hard Parts book, you will:
- Understand how data science creates value
- Deliver compelling narratives to sell your data science project
- Build a business case using unit economics principles
- Create new features for a ML model using storytelling
- Learn how to decompose KPIs
- Perform growth decompositions to find root causes for changes in a metric
Taken as a whole, the lessons in this book make the difference between an average data scientist candidate and a qualified data scientist working in the field. Author Daniel Vaughan has collected, extended, and used these skills to create value and train data scientists from different companies and industries.