Hacking APIs: Breaking Web Application Programming Interfaces
- Paperback: 368 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook (July 12, 2022)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1718502443
- ISBN-13: 978-1718502444
Hacking APIs: Breaking Web Application Programming Interfaces is a crash course in web API security testing that will prepare you to penetration-test APIs, reap high rewards on bug bounty programs, and make your own APIs more secure.
An Application Programming Interface (API) is a software connection that allows applications to communicate and share services. Hacking APIs will teach you how to test web APIs for security vulnerabilities. You’ll learn how the common API types, REST, SOAP, and GraphQL, work in the wild. Then you’ll set up a streamlined API testing lab and perform common attacks, like those targeting an API’s authentication mechanisms, and the injection vulnerabilities commonly found in web applications. In the book’s guided labs, which target intentionally vulnerable APIs, you’ll practice:
- Enumerating API users and endpoints using fuzzing techniques
- Using Postman to discover an excessive data exposure vulnerability
- Performing a JSON Web Token attack against an API authentication process
- Combining multiple API attack techniques to perform a NoSQL injection
- Attacking a GraphQL API to uncover a broken object level authorization vulnerability
By the end of the Hacking APIs: Breaking Web Application Programming Interfaces book, you’ll be prepared to uncover those high-payout API bugs that other hackers aren’t finding, and improve the security of applications on the web.