- Paperback: 432 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook; 1st edition (September 13, 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1118026225
- ISBN-13: 978-1118026229
Today, mobile devices outnumber desktop and laptop computers three to one. Skill in developing web sites that work on mobile devices is in demand, and this friendly, step-by-step guide shows how to build and optimize sites using HTML5 and other standard web development tools. Building web sites that work for all types of smartphones and tablets, including iPhones, iPads, Android devices, and BlackBerry devices is a skill much in demand as mobile devices outpace both desktop and laptop computers, and this book gets you started.
- Covers HTML5, WebKit extensions, platform variations, accommodating different browsers, security issues, and making mobile sites richer with Flash, graphics, and video
- Includes code for differences in mobile app design and navigation, including touch devices
Learn to build and optimize attractive, functional web sites for smartphones
From the Back Cover
Master the art of designing web pages for mobile devices – a site for small screens!
When designing a web page for mobile devices, the big thing is – think small! Your objective is to provide what the mobile user wants without losing the “wow” in your website. This book shows you how to do it using three key technologies. Soon you’ll be building mobile pages with forms, quizzes, appropriate graphics, shopping carts, and more!
- Think mobile – consider screen size, lack of a mouse, duel orientation screens, and mobile browsers
- Know your audience – understand how people use the mobile web and how their habits differ from those of desktop users
- Get interactive – optimize multimedia files and develop contact forms that encourage visitors to interact with your site
- Be sure they find you – make your mobile site both easily searchable and search engine-friendly
- Why you should know WURFL
- A system for keeping your site up to date
- All about bitmap and vector images
- Easy ways to adjust your site for different devices
- Powerful SEO ideas to get your site noticed
- Tips for creating a mobile shopping cart
- How to take your blog theme mobile
- Ten mobile CSS-friendly apps and widgets
- Use standard web tools to build sites for iPhone, iPad, BlackBerry, and Android platforms
- Optimize sites for all mobile devices
- Accommodate different mobile browsers and security features
- Take advantage of HTML5
William Harrel has nearly 25 years of digital design experience. He was one of the pioneers of publishing on desktop computers, starting with the very first digital design and graphics programs, PageMaker and Photoshop. Like so many of the early “desktop publishers,” with the emergence of the World Wide Web, he found that making the transition to web design was the next logical step. His design fi rm has designed hundreds of websites, Flash websites, and electronic documents. His earlier books on Photoshop, PageMaker, and digital media in general were some of the fi rst publications on these topics.
William Harrel has authored or coauthored 19 books on designing both print media and electronic documents, such as websites, PDFs, Flash sites and Flash applications, slide and multimedia presentations, on computers. These include titles on Photoshop, Acrobat (Acrobat WOW! eBook), PageMaker, Flash, Director, and several other graphics and publishing packages.
[download id=”449″ format=”1″]