Murach’s ASP.NET 4 Web Programming with VB 2010
- Paperback: 836 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook & Associates; 4th edition (March 21, 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 189077460X
- ISBN-13: 978-1890774608
Murach’s ASP.NET 4 Web Programming with VB 2010
If you know how to create Windows applications using Visual Basic, you’re ready for this latest edition of our classic web programming book. It will get you off to a fast start with web programming, no matter whether you’re coming to ASP.NET 4 with a background in an earlier release of ASP.NET, classic ASP, Java servlets/JSP, PHP…or with no web background at all. In fact, by the end of chapter 4, you’ll know how to use Visual Studio 2010 to develop and test multi-page database applications for the web.
But this book is much more than a beginning book. By the time you’re done, you’ll have the professional skills you need to develop bullet-proof web applications for business. You’ll also find that this book does double duty as the best on-the-job reference book that money can buy.
This book has provided me with the information to jump right into creating web applications with Visual Basic. It is an excellent training guide and at the same time, it provides real-world examples that can be reused in multiple projects and applications. (A developer’s comment on the previous edition of Murach’s ASP.NET, posted online)
Already know how to code in Visual Basic 2010? Then, master web programming with this .NET 4 edition of the ASP.NET book that’s a favorite of developers. It teaches beginners how to develop web applications from scratch, while more seasoned professionals use it as a time-saving guide whenever they need the “how-to” details that take forever to find online.
Here’s a quick rundown on what developers have always liked best about this book:
#1: Complete applications show you how all the pieces interact
The key to mastering ASP.NET 4 is to have plenty of real-world applications that guide you in using the skills you’re learning…and that help you avoid the problems that you can run into as you build complex web sites. That’s why this book gives you complete applications, including the web forms, the aspx code, and the VB code. Download the applications for free from the Murach website, and experiment with them on your own to see how valuable they are.
#2: It gives you a 6-chapter section on database programming that’s geared to business applications
Database handling is crucial in business programming, yet it’s glossed over in just a chapter or two in many books. In contrast, this 6-chapter section teaches you how to use SQL data sources and ASP.NET data controls to develop database applications with little or no VB code. Then, it teaches how to use object data sources to create 3-layer applications that let you separate the presentation code from the data access code. And each topic is illustrated using examples like maintenance and shopping cart applications…the kind of database applications you’ll deal with every day.
#3: It teaches you ASP.NET development the way it should be done, using Visual Studio 2010
The 1.x edition of this book was one of the first to teach web development using Visual Studio instead of tools like Notepad. Today, no developer should miss out on the productivity features of Visual Studio 2010. So they’re integrated throughout this book, rather than being relegated to just a chapter or two at the beginning.
#4: It teaches you ASP.NET 4 features when they’re appropriate, not just convenient
In contrast to some books, the ASP.NET 4 features haven’t just been tacked onto the chapters from the previous .NET 3.5 edition. Instead, author Anne Boehm has carefully analyzed how the changes affect the way you develop web applications and what you need to learn when. That means this book integrates the new material with the classic ASP.NET features that haven’t changed, giving you a cohesive, fluid approach to learning web programming the way it’s done today.
#5: The distinctive paired-pages format* makes learning…and reference…a breeze
A few years ago, a customer used the term “paired pages” to describe our presentation style, and the name has stuck. It means that this book presents each topic in a two-page spread. The right page gives screen shots, code, syntax, bulleted details whatever is needed to illustrate and summarize the topic; the left page provides extra explanation and perspective as needed. That makes it easy for developers at any level to skim through material they already know and focus on what’s new to them. It means less reading for everyone. And it makes the book a quick and easy-to-use reference guide once you’re done training.
Everything you need to know to get going on web development
Look at the table of contents, and you’ll see why we say that this book covers what you need to know to develop web applications at the professional level. That includes skills like:
- State management
- Data validation
- Database handling with SQL and object data sources, as well as with time-saving data controls like GridView, DetailsView, FormView, ListView, and DataPager
- Designing and formatting web pages with cascading style sheets (CSS) and the CSS tools that ASP.NET provides
- Using master pages, themes, and site navigation features to create user-friendly interfaces
- Handling common frustrations, back-button refreshes, with ease
- Getting started with ASP.NET AJAX to improve application performance
- Deployment of web applications on a remote server
- Developing tested WCF services that can be hosted by a web server and accessed by multiple applications, running on any platform
3 reasons why this is the ASP.NET 4 book to get first
- All of the ASP.NET features are presented in the context of complete applications. That includes the web forms, the aspx code, and the VB code. We’ve found that applications like these are the key to mastery of web development…but you won’t find them in most competing books.
- To save you time and effort on repetitive chores, this book shows you how to get the most from Visual Studio 2010. This IDE is one of the keys to development productivity, yet many books still neglect it after the first couple of chapters or ignore it entirely.
- If you download a free chapter, you’ll see that all of the information is presented in “paired pages,” with the essential syntax, guidelines, and examples on the right page and the perspective and extra explanation on the left page. This not only helps you learn faster by reading less, but is also the best reference format that you’ll find anywhere.
90-day trial and 100% guarantee
Like all our books, this one is backed by our 90-day trial period and unconditional guarantee. So please don’t delay. Try this book today!