Pentaho Data Integration 4 Cookbook
- Paperback: 352 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook (July 16, 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1849515247
- ISBN-13: 978-1849515245
Over 70 recipes to solve ETL problems using Pentaho Kettle
- Manipulate your data by exploring, transforming, validating, integrating, and more
- Work with all kinds of data sources such as databases, plain files, and XML structures among others
- Use Kettle in integration with other components of the Pentaho Business Intelligence Suite
- Each recipe is a carefully organized sequence of instructions packed with screenshots, tables, and tips to complete the task as efficiently as possible
Pentaho Data Integration (PDI, also called Kettle), one of the data integration tools leaders, is broadly used for all kind of data manipulation such as migrating data between applications or databases, exporting data from databases to flat files, data cleansing, and much more. Do you need quick solutions to the problems you face while using Kettle?
Pentaho Data Integration 4 Cookbook explains Kettle features in detail through clear and practical recipes that you can quickly apply to your solutions. The recipes cover a broad range of topics including processing files, working with databases, understanding XML structures, integrating with Pentaho BI Suite, and more.
Pentaho Data Integration 4 Cookbook shows you how to take advantage of all the aspects of Kettle through a set of practical recipes organized to find quick solutions to your needs. The initial chapters explain the details about working with databases, files, and XML structures. Then you will see different ways for searching data, executing and reusing jobs and transformations, and manipulating streams. Further, you will learn all the available options for integrating Kettle with other Pentaho tools.
Pentaho Data Integration 4 Cookbook has plenty of recipes with easy step-by-step instructions to accomplish specific tasks. There are examples and code that are ready for adaptation to individual needs.
Learn to solve data manipulation problems using the Pentaho Data Integration tool Kettle.
What you will learn from this book :
- Configure Kettle to connect to databases, explore them, and perform CRUD operations
- Read, write, and parse simple and unstructured files
- Solve common Excel needs such as reading from a particular cell or generating several sheets at a time
- Read, validate, and generate simple and complex XML structures
- Manipulate files by copying, deleting, compressing, or transferring to remote servers
- Look up information from different sources such as databases, web services, or spreadsheets among others
- Work with data flows performing operations such as joining, merging, or filtering rows
- Customize the Kettle logs to your needs
- Embed Java code in your transformations to gain performance and flexibility
- Execute and reuse transformations and jobs in different ways
- Integrate Kettle with Pentaho Reporting, Pentaho Dashboards, Community Data Access, and Pentaho BI Platform
This book has step-by-step instructions to solve data manipulation problems using PDI in the form of recipes. It has plenty of well-organized tips, screenshots, tables, and examples to aid quick and easy understanding.
Who this book is written for
If you are a software developer or anyone involved or interested in developing ETL solutions, or in general, doing any kind of data manipulation, this book is for you. It does not cover PDI basics, SQL basics, or database concepts. You are expected to have a basic understanding of the PDI tool, SQL language, and databases.
[download id=”206″ format=”1″]