Professional Mobile Web Development with WordPress, Joomla! and Drupal
- Paperback: 552 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook; 1st edition (April 12, 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0470889519
- ISBN-13: 978-0470889510
How to develop powerful mobile Web sites using popular content management systems (CMS)
Mobile is the hottest thing going-and developing content for mobile devices and browsers is even hotter than that. This book is your guide to it all-how to design, build, and deploy sites, blogs and services that will work brilliantly for mobile users. You’ll learn about the state-of-the-art of mobile web development, the tools available to use, and the best practices for creating compelling mobile user interfaces. Then, using the most popular content management systems, WordPress, Joomla!, and Drupal, you’ll learn how to building world-class mobile web sites from existing platforms and content. The book walks you through each platform, including how to use third-party plug-ins and themes, explains the strategies for writing your own logic, how to switch between mobile and desktop, and much more.
- Provides a technical review of the mobile landscape and acquaints you with a range of mobile devices and networks
- Covers topics common to all platforms, including site topologies, switching between mobile and desktop, common user interface patterns, and more
- Walks you through each content management platform-WordPress, Joomla!, and Drupal-first focusing on standard plug-ins and themes and then exploring advanced techniques for writing your own themes or logic
- Explains the best practices for testing, deploying, and integrating a mobile web site
- Also explores analytics, m-commerce, and SEO techniques for mobile
Get ahead of the the mobile web development curve with this professional and in-depth reference guide!
From the Back Cover
Learn to implement sites with the major content management platforms
The popularity of the mobile web is seemingly unstoppable, making the demand and expectations for sleek, smooth, and sophisticated web sites extraordinarily high. Unique to the shelf, this book describes how you can develop mobile content and then install, configure, test, and integrate mobile web sites using the most popular content management systems (CMS) in order to provide an engaging and enjoyable experience to users on the move. Placing a special emphasis on three particular platforms-WordPress, Joomla!, and Drupal-author James Pearce explains how to design and mobilize sites in conjunction with each CMS and walks you through the installation and configuration of the plugins, modules, and themes that will get you started, fast.
Professional Mobile Web Development with WordPress, Joomla! and Drupal:
- Features a brief history of the mobile web and explains what makes it unique
- Provides a technical review of the mobile landscape and familiarizes you with mobile devices, networks, and their challenges
- Looks at how the mobile web is evolving and how best to design for it
- Reviews choices and decisions that should be made prior to working on CMS mobilization
- Describes the processes involved in testing, deploying, and integrating a mobile web site, regardless of platform
- Discusses mobile analytics, advertising, and other operational topics
- wrox.com Programmer Forums
Join our Programmer to Programmer forums to ask and answer programming questions about this book, join discussions on the hottest topics in the industry, and connect with fellow programmers from around the world.
Take advantage of free code samples from this book, as well as code samples from hundreds of other books, all ready to use.
Find articles, ebooks, sample chapters, and tables of contents for hundreds of books, and more reference resources on programming topics that matter to you.
WOW! eBook Professional guides are planned and written by working programmers to meet the real-world needs of programmers, developers, and IT professionals. Focused and relevant, they address the issues technology professionals face every day. They provide examples, practical solutions, and expert education in new technologies, all designed to help programmers do a better job.
[download id=”140″ format=”1″]