Sage Beginner’s Guide
- Paperback: 364 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook (May 11, 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1849514461
- ISBN-13: 978-1849514460
Unlock the full potential of Sage for simplifying and automating mathematical computing
- The best way to learn Sage which is a open source alternative to Magma, Maple, Mathematica, and Matlab
- Learn to use symbolic and numerical computation to simplify your work and produce publication-quality graphics
- Numerically solve systems of equations, find roots, and analyze data from experiments or simulations
- Save time on algebra by automatically simplifying symbolic expressions, performing calculus operations, and manipulating vectors and matrices
- Use the Python programming language to write and debug code more quickly than traditional compiled languages like C++ or Fortran
- Key features of Sage are explained using practical examples from engineering, science, and applied mathematics
Your work demands results, and you don’t have time for tedious, repetitive mathematical tasks. Sage is a free, open-source software package that automates symbolic and numerical calculations with the power of the Python programming language, so you can focus on the analytical and creative aspects of your work or studies.
Sage Beginner’s Guide shows you how to do calculations with Sage. Each concept is illustrated with a complete example that you can use as a starting point for your own work. You will learn how to use many of the functions that are built in to Sage, and how to use Python to write sophisticated programs that utilize the power of Sage.
This book starts by showing you how to download and install Sage, and introduces the command-line interface and the graphical notebook interface. It also includes an introduction to Python so you can start programming in Sage. Every major concept is illustrated with a practical example.
After learning the fundamentals of variables and functions in Sage, you will learn how to symbolically simplify expressions, solve equations, perform integrals and derivatives, and manipulate vectors and matrices. You will learn how Sage can produce numerous kinds of plots and graphics. The book will demonstrate numerical methods in Sage, and explain how to use object-oriented programming to improve your code.
Sage Beginner’s Guide will give you the tools you need to unlock the full potential of Sage for simplifying and automating mathematical computing.
Effectively use Sage to eliminate tedious algebra, speed up numerical calculations, implement algorithms and data structures, and illustrate your work with publication-quality plots and graphics.
What you will learn from this book :
- Download and install Sage, and learn how to use the command-line and notebook interface
- Learn the basics of Python programming
- Solve problems in linear algebra with vectors and matrices
- Visualize functions and data sets with publication-quality graphics
- Define, re-arrange, and simplify symbolic expressions
- Calculate integrals, derivatives, and transforms symbolically and numerically
- Solve ordinary differential equations (ODEs) and systems of ODEs
- Fit functions to data using unconstrained and constrained numerical optimization
- Apply object-oriented principles to simplify your code
- Speed up calculations with Numpy arrays
- Learn to use Sage as a toolbox for writing Python programs
This is a beginner’s guide with clear step-by-step instructions, explanations, and advice. Each concept is illustrated with a complete example that you can use as a starting point for your own work.
Who this book is written for
If you are an engineer, scientist, mathematician, or student, this book is for you. To get the most from Sage by using the Python programming language, we’ll give you the basics of the language to get you started. For this, it will be helpful if you have some experience with basic programming concepts.
[download id=”138″ format=”1″]