- Paperback: 477 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook (April 13, 2023)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1484292901
- ISBN-13: 978-1484292907
Tactical Wireshark: A Deep Dive into Intrusion Analysis, Malware Incidents, and Extraction of Forensic Evidence
Take a systematic approach at identifying intrusions that range from the most basic to the most sophisticated, using Wireshark, an open source protocol analyzer. This Tactical Wireshark book will show you how to effectively manipulate and monitor different conversations and perform statistical analysis of these conversations to identify the IP and TCP information of interest.
Next, you’ll be walked through a review of the different methods malware uses, from inception through the spread across and compromise of a network of machines. The process from the initial “click” through intrusion, the characteristics of Command and Control (C2), and the different types of lateral movement will be detailed at the packet level.
In the final part of the book, you’ll explore the network capture file and identification of data for a potential forensics extraction, including inherent capabilities for the extraction of objects such as file data and other corresponding components in support of a forensics investigation.
- Use Wireshark to identify intrusions into a network
- Exercise methods to uncover network data even when it is in encrypted form
- Analyze malware Command and Control (C2) communications and identify IOCs
- Extract data in a forensically sound manner to support investigations
- Leverage capture file statistics to reconstruct network events
After completing this Tactical Wireshark: A Deep Dive into Intrusion Analysis, Malware Incidents, and Extraction of Forensic Evidence book, you will have a complete understanding of the process of carving files from raw PCAP data within the Wireshark tool.