Test-Driven Development in Go
- Paperback: 338 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook (April 21, 2023)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1803247878
- ISBN-13: 978-1803247878
Test-Driven Development in Go: Explore Go testing techniques and leverage TDD to deliver and maintain microservices architecture, including contract, end-to-end, and unit testing
Experienced developers understand the importance of designing a comprehensive testing strategy to ensure efficient shipping and maintaining services in production. This book shows you how to utilize test-driven development (TDD), a widely adopted industry practice, for testing your Go apps at different levels. You’ll also explore challenges faced in testing concurrent code, and learn how to leverage generics and write fuzz tests.
The book begins by teaching you how to use TDD to tackle various problems, from simple mathematical functions to web apps. You’ll then learn how to structure and run your unit tests using Go’s standard testing library, and explore two popular testing frameworks, Testify and Ginkgo. You’ll also implement test suites using table-driven testing, a popular Go technique. As you advance, you’ll write and run behavior-driven development (BDD) tests using Ginkgo and Godog. Finally, you’ll explore the tricky aspects of implementing and testing TDD in production, such as refactoring your code and testing microservices architecture with contract testing implemented with Pact. All these techniques will be demonstrated using an example REST API, as well as smaller bespoke code examples.
- Create practical Go unit tests using mocks and assertions with Testify
- Build table-driven test suites for HTTP web applications
- Write BDD-style tests using the Ginkgo testing framework
- Use the Godog testing framework to reliably test web applications
- Verify microservices architecture using Pact contract testing
- Develop tests that cover edge cases using property testing and fuzzing
By the end of this Test-Driven Development in Go book, you’ll have learned how to design and implement a comprehensive testing strategy for your Go applications and microservices architecture.