Unreal Development Kit 3 Beginner’s Guide
- Paperback: 244 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook (August 26, 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1849690529
- ISBN-13: 978-1849690522
A fun, quick, step by step guide to level design and creating your own game world
- Full of illustrations, diagrams, and tips for creating your first level and game environment.
- Clear step-by-step instructions and fun practical examples.
- Master the essentials of level design and environment creation
Unreal Development Kit (UDK) is the free version of the award-winning Unreal Engine 3. It is used to create a wide variety of games ranging from amateur to professional standard next generation AAA titles.
This book will show you exactly how to create an enjoyable and immersive game environment using the UDK. You will learn how to implement, level design, lighting, environmental effects, movement, terrain, map creation, item placement, kismet, materials and complex event sequences.
You will work through the level design process from navigating round the editor to learning how to develop a fully playable environment. You will quickly master all of the engine’s key tools that are accessible through Unreal Engine 3. You will then start putting together your first level using step-by-step instructions. Next we will implement real world features such as dynamic lighting and shadows, particle effects, physics, terrain, item placement and advanced AI/bot pathing. Finally you will learn how to use UDK’s cutting edge high level scripting. By the end of this book you will be equipped with the skills to create an entertaining and imaginative game world.
What you will learn from this book :
- Installing the software and navigating around the editor.
- Build your first map.
- Add cool particle effects like fog, foliage and water.
- Create fun physics.
- Create real world terrain.
- Use the kismet to spawn characters and toggle lighting.
- Cutting edge UDK High level scripting.
- Item placement and AI bot navigation.
This beginner’s guide focuses on getting you quickly through all the major learning points in a smooth, logical order. You’ll also learn how to avoid some common pitfalls.
Who this book is written for
Aspiring game developers who want to learn how to create their own levels, maps, game worlds and environments. You don’t need game design or game development experience and no experience of UDK is required.
[download id=”319″ format=”1″]